Saturday, January 31, 2009

Appt update

So I had my big long appointment on Wednesday, and a lot happened so I figured I'd better document it, just in case at some point in the future I want to remember. It started out with all the usual stuff, and amazingly I didn't gain any weight since my last appt, probably because of this heartburn and indigestion I don't feel like eating very much, but anyways it was a pleasant surprise (not that I am trying to not gain weight, I am not crazy and I know that is just part of pregnancy, but I figure the least unnecessary weight I gain the better). After all that I drank the glucose drink for the glucose tolerance test, which wasn't too horrible, I chose the fruit punch flavor and it just tasted like really sweet hawaiian punch. Then I had to wait an hour before having that test taken, so I had blood work done for the two antibody screens I was having. The first is because I am Rh negative so they have to test to make sure I hadn't developed any antibodies from that, and also as a precaution I was tested for exposure/immunity to fifths disease because there were 3 kids in our church who had it. I got good results from both those tests, I hadn't developed any Rh antibodies, and I will get a shot on Monday that will ensure I don't develop any the rest of the pregnancy; and the fifths disease results showed that I have had previous exposure to the disease and that I have immunity to it now.
After all the blood work I went back to hear the heartbeat and see the doctor. Lil Emmory was moving around like usual I could hear all the movements on the doppler thingee, and his heart was pumping away in the 150's. I honestly think I could sit there for hours just listening to that lil beat. Anways the visit with the doctor went really well, I measured right at 28 weeks, and he said my weight, blood pressure, and urine were all great. I also got to talk to him about my heartburn problem and he had me take prilosec and told me if that didn't work we would try some other prescriptions, which was such a relief to me to know that there was more I could do. I am so thankful to report that the prilosec has really made a difference, it has completely taken away the acid and ball of fire coming up my throat feeling that I would frequently experience. It hasn't changed the feeling of food being stuck in my throat and wanting to come back up rather than go down where it is supposed to, but this is probably more of a digestive issue that no acid reducer pill is going to fix, so I will continue to take the prilosec and talk to the doc about that issue at my next appt. So, back to the appt, after seeing the doc I went back out to wait until it was time to take the glucose test, which didn't end up being too long. This test is taken to test for gestational diabetes, a type of diabetes that some women develop when they are pregnant and they really don't know why. If you fail the 1 hr. test in the dr's office then you are sent to a lab for an extensive three hour test, and if you fail the 3 hr test then you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Well I failed the 1 hr test, the levels in my blood were over 140, so I have to go to a lab on Wednesday morning for 3 hrs of blood work and no eating or drinking...I can't eat or drink anything after midnight on Tues. Upon initially finding out that I failed the test I was pretty upset about it, I definitely made a much bigger deal about it than it needed to be. Sure it isn't going to be any fun to have to fast for so long, I don't know why you would give a pregnant woman any kind of test where she can't eat for an extended amount of time, but I have so much to be thankful for, I got good reports on everything else, the baby is doing great and I am doing great, and even if I have gestational diabetes I'll just have to be on a special diet and exercise program, it really isn't a major complication or anything like that. So after my initial "freak out", with the help of my husband I realized that I need to not dwell on having to take this 3 hr test, but rather "whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to focus on what you know to be true. :) I am continuing to pray for you and the baby!

    ReplyDelete