Friday, February 6, 2009

2nd time's a charm

Well the dreaded 3 hr glucose tolerance test is now behind me, and I am so glad! I was at the lab Wednesday morning from 8:15 am til 11:45, and that 3 and a half hours felt very long. After waiting a little bit in the waiting room the nurse brought me back and took my blood, then I had to drink a horribly sweet drink (twice as sweet as the one in the doctors office the first time) in five minutes, then wait an hour and have my blood drawn again. From the time I was halfway finished with the drink until the one hour blood draw I felt very sick and weak, the nurse told me that if I felt sick or wierd at all to come and tell her, so after a while when I really thought I was gonna lose it I went out and asked her if she knew of any tricks to make it better, she said the only thing I could do was take tiny sips of water, and also that if I threw up I would have to come back another day and start all over. Well great! That is the absolute last thing I wanted to do, so with every ounce of willpower in me and lots of prayer, I managed to keep it down. After I made it to the 1 hour blood draw I started to feel better, still didn't feel great but not as nauscious. I had two more blood draws every hour, and I made it to the very last one! And I found out from the dr office yesterday that the results were normal, so I don't have gestational diabetes. Praise God!

2 comments:

  1. yay! i was praying that it would be a-okay!

    with my crohn's disease i always had to drink wretched things so my insides would glow on the x-rays... i had one technician tell me to pant like a dog and it helps the gag reflex calm down. it actually did work.

    i tried it with morning sickness and of course lost the battle haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe, you are my hero! You put up with so much and do so well with it. I would be such a mess if I had to go thru what you are putting up with! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete