Saturday, February 28, 2009

8 months

As of this past Tuesday I am in my eighth month of the pregnancy! 32 weeks, woohoo! Only two more months to go (which to me seems like that makes the average pregnancy last 10 months, not 9, but oh well). I had another checkup on Wednesday that went well, and this doctor also agreed with the last doctor I saw that there isn't any medicine that can make my food not come up, so I have just accepted this as a normal part of my life and am moving on...only two more months I can definitely put up with it for that short amount of time. I also had another blood draw because apparently the hospitals have a new rule that if the mom hasn't been tested for HIV, then when the baby is born they will do unnecessary testing on the baby in the hospital, which I wanted to spare Emmory from having to go through.
I have been experiencing a few new discomforts, the first being pain around the rib cage area. Emmory has found a nice little spot for his foot in my right ribcage, and he is continually either kicking me there or lodging his foot in there to stay. It is definitely sore and feels like I was involved in a punching match. I told the doctor about it because I wanted to see if he could tell what part of his body was where, and he confirmed that his head is down low, which is why I often feel pressure down there, and a foot is in the exact spot where I am sore. He said it could vary whether it's a foot or his little bottom that is pressing up against that area since he does move around, but that it's definitely something from the waist down.
I think that one of the coolest things about my belly getting bigger, and Emmory getting bigger, is that I can actually feel him inside of me from the outside, and I can see parts of his body roll across my belly. It's not to the point where I can actually distinguish which body part it is, but I can definitely tell that it's him. And even though it is causing more and more discomfort, I love feeling his movements change and get stronger and being able to tell that he is growing in there, it's almost like I am able to experience some of his development in there...my little boy is growing up :)
The second new discomfort I'm experiencing is back pain. It's nothing really sharp or excruciating, but I just have a constant discomfort and it doesn't matter what position I sit or lay in, it still hurts. Maybe it's because I have bad posture, and with the weight I'm carrying up front now I am experiencing the effects of that bad posture....maybe it's simply just because of the extra weight up front and there is nothing I can do about it, I'm not sure. Last night I did ask Mark if he would massage that area and that did help relieve the pain enough so I could fall asleep in a comfortable position, so maybe I just need to be pampered every day :) I am very excited because I was given a gift certificate to a new spa downtown for a prenatal massage and I'm going to use it this coming week I think, so that will be a really, really nice treat. The last time I had a massage it was the most relaxing experience I've ever had, and I'm hoping that it will also help relieve some of these discomforts I've been experiencing.
As of tonight I have started work on the nursery, I cleared out the bookcase that was in there and moved it into the guestroom, and I put the glider rocker in its place. At the shower I had last Saturday my mom and sister in law gave me the cushions that I wanted for the rocker, and I love the way they turned out! I hope to take pictures of the progess I make as I clear everything non-baby out of the nursery/office, and organize all the baby stuff in its place. I am so excited for it all to come together!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shawna,
    That's great to have the rocker set up in the nursery! You can practice rocking Emmory now :) Getting the bookcase emptied and moved is good progress, and you already got the futon sold, which is a big chore out of the way. I will pray for the back pain. It's been too long since I was pregnant to remember that, but I do remember seeing/feeling the rolling baby body parts! How nice to have the massage to look forward to. I love you three, Mom/Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting the thing about it actually being 10 months..it is!!! I get laughed at about that but when you are the incubator you feel every bit of it and for most of us it (blessed as we are) its definitely longer than 9!! Hang in there friend...your reward is coming.

    ReplyDelete