Wednesday, January 7, 2009

25 weeks

I am trying to get pics up of the baby shower I had in Seattle and other pics from the trip, but won't be able to get them up until my hubby can help me because I am having trouble doing it for some reason, so in the meantime, here is an update on what's been going on with the baby and pregnancy. I am 25 weeks as of yesterday, it is hard to believe that in just three short weeks I'll be in my third trimester...scary and exciting at the same time! This week baby S is 9 inches in length and weighs more than 1 1/2 pounds. The most major thing that is forming right now are air sacs lined with capillaries are developing in his lungs. His nostrils are also opening up this week enabling him to take practice breaths, and his vocal cords are functioning which lead to occasional hiccups...which I haven't felt yet. I had an appointment yesterday which was very routine, did the usual weight, blood pressure, pee in a cup thing, heard the heartbeat which is always amazing every single time, and saw the doc for a few minutes, he said everything looked great. My next appointment will be very busy and long...that is when I take the test for gestational diabetes. I'll drink the special drink and wait for an hour and then be tested to see if I have developed that, and I also have to have blood drawn because I am Rh negative so they have to check and see if I have developed any antibodies, and then when I get the results from the blood work back if they are negative I will get a shot to prevent any from developing the rest of the pregnancy. I've already had one shot for this after the miscarriage and I must say it is quite unpleasant (especially because of where they give you the shot) but totally worth it to protect my baby of course. If antibodies were to build up they would begin to attack the baby.
So all of that excitement will take place in three weeks.
I have been feeling pretty good since recovering from being sick and from the flights back from Seattle to Greenville (wont go into detail but the combination of pregnancy horomones and flying were not good). Really the biggest pregnancy discomfort I'm experiencing is the heartburn, it has started to affect my sleep, on more than one occasion I have fallen asleep and then woke up because my food is coming back up my throat and into my mouth (yes I know disgusting) and I have to sleep most of the night sitting up as much as I can. This kind of scares me because I had always heard that at the end is when the heartburn really gets bad, so I can't even imagine where I will be then! Also, I have been finding it more and more uncomfortable to bend over...and am going to stick to slip on shoes only from now on because it takes way too much effort to tie my shoes!
I am feeling the baby move even more frequently now, and I can tell he is getting bigger and stronger because those movements are much more intense than they used to be! It is still by far my favorite thing about pregnancy, even though it is not always comfortable. It is visible from the outside too, one morning Mark and I were laying in bed, and I hadn't even mentioned to him that the baby was moving it was so obvious he noticed my stomach moving on his own! It seems that recently he has been kicking and then rolling, because I will feel a sudden jerk and then a rolling movement like an earthquake in my stomach. It is the coolest thing and I love that it is something that Mark can enjoy and participate in too, since most of the things about the pregnancy only I get to experience.
Well that is what has been going on recently, hopefully I'll get those pics up soon!

2 comments:

  1. Hey read another girl's blog who's preggers and she has heartburn too. One person left a comment that I thought maybe you might want to try:

    My pregnant cousin is experiencing this same problem at the moment. She said sipping on 2 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar mixed with 12 ounces of water has worked wonders for her....worth a try maybe??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to believe you are over half way there! We are all looking forward to meeting this little guy!!

    ReplyDelete