Monday, December 15, 2008

Names

So usually one of the first things people ask you when you are pregnant (after the due date of course) is whether you know if it's a boy or a girl. Then after that they usually ask you whether you have a name picked out or not, and if you do are you going to tell people before the baby is born. Well just so everyone knows we are going to tell people the name when we know, and we do have a pretty good idea what it's going to be. When we went in for the u/s to find out what we were having, we both honestly didn't really care which one it was, we just wanted a healthy baby. And I, like most people, want to eventually have both, so with the first one it really didn't matter. However, the whole time I think we both knew that if it was a boy, the name thing would be a lot harder, so it would be nice to have a girl for that reason alone. We have always pretty much liked the same girl names and the top ones on our list we both agree upon, but the boy names were a different story. The only name Mark has ever really liked or talked about for a boy is Wyatt, ever since we got married and started talking about kids names just for fun he has liked that name, and I have not. The one boy name that I came up with since we found out we were pregnant is Cooper. I really like the name and it is a family name, it's my Grandma Gifford's maiden name. At first Mark said he liked Cooper, but as time went by I guess the likeness factor wore off a bit and he didn't like it as much. Of course we aren't going to name our kid a name that Mark doesn't like, and Mark doesn't want to name our kid a name that I don't like, so that basically left us with nothing. Until....
Mark and I went to Pennsylvania with his family for Thanksgiving to visit with his Dad's side of the family. We stayed at his Aunt Robyn's house, and she has a Steenback family tree on her computer that goes way, way back, and I was able to scroll through it and look at all the names while we were there. One name caught my eye, but I didn't say anything at the time. Other than that there weren't a lot of names that I thought "ooo I like that". Our u/s was scheduled for the day after we got back from Pennsylvania, and it wasn't until that day that I said something about that name. We were having "brunch" together and out of the blue I said, "What about the name Emmory?" Immediately Mark said, "I like it", which is pretty amazing because usually when we run boy names by eachother the other person doesn't like it, hence the problem we had been having. What's even stranger though is that Mark began to like that name more than Wyatt, all he has done is talk about that name since I brought it up. We contemplated spelling it Emery, Emory, and Emmory, but are pretty sure we would spell it Emmory because that is the way the family name is spelled, and Mark especially liked that because it got absolutely zero hits on babyname.com...he wants a unique name that not a lot of people have. So, right now we are thinking Emmory William...William is my dad's name, and both Mark and I have grandpa's named Willard. It's definitely not set in stone and when we go to Seattle for Christmas the 23rd I want to look at the Moor family tree just for fun, but I think Mark is pretty sure we are gonna name him Emmory...especially since that is what he calls him now! I told him if we keep calling him Emmory it's going to be really hard to name him anything else if we find something we like better, but he seems to be fine with that.

3 comments:

  1. Mom told me you guys found that name in the family tree. That's awesome you're gonna do family names! I'd like to do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great name! I like unique names (hence Malaki Atilio). Emmory is a good strong name! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sweet Shawna,
    Emmory sounds like a terrific name. I agree with Mark that having a unique name is very good. Having a family name is very special. I'll be following along when I can and praying daily. Love to you, Joann

    ReplyDelete